1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Yea the Katakana says Destroid Phalanx. I have no idea what the Kanji says tho.

VF-4 looking good

Edit: Black writing: "Destroid Phalanx [something] Hybrid Kit"

Yes that is marked as being the 1/60 Destroid Phalanx.

Katakana is pretty easy to learn guys :3

Thanks for the clarification!

Have an extra Defender set aside for this kit.

Is it confirmed that we'll need a spare Destroid for this kit?

Not confirmed, I bought an extra Defender just in case the Kit was the upper half of the destroid ;)

There's plenty of Defenders in ebay for U$S49,99. If the Phalanx kit turns out to be only the upper torso/head/missile launchers, be prepared to pay big $$$ for the remaining Defenders.

Man, I thought this was the VF-4 thread :unsure: Glad the Phalanx is coming. I hope there's more pics coming of the VF-4. I know September is a ways away, but some early prototypes would be awesome.

Man, I thought this was the VF-4 thread :unsure: Glad the Phalanx is coming. I hope there's more pics coming of the VF-4. I know September is a ways away, but some early prototypes would be awesome.

My fault :lol: I got carried away with the upper pic of the scan.

And yes, I'd kill for pictures of an actual prototype of the VF-4!!!

That nose transformation looks pretty complex. Hopefully it's not too fragile. Someone with more experience with the intricacies of transforming toys and CAD drawings should chime in

Well the past two attempts were pretty good considering they were smaller and made out of resin.

Those swing bars in the diagram probably need to be diecast, or some other alloy. I think Yamato's quality materials, as opposed to resin or soft plastics, will make the mechanism work just fine.

Those swing bars in the diagram probably need to be diecast, or some other alloy. I think Yamato's quality materials, as opposed to resin or soft plastics, will make the mechanism work just fine.

Yes, there should be no problem at all, Yamato's last Macross offerings are top notch products with great QC!

That nose transformation looks pretty complex. Hopefully it's not too fragile. Someone with more experience with the intricacies of transforming toys and CAD drawings should chime in

Errr… I actually think the transformation looks surprisingly simple, or at least simpler than previous intents I’ve seen like this one by Experten:

post-12283-0-71209300-1332467238.jpg post-12283-0-53088400-1332467243.jpg

Source: http://experten.coco.../vf4/index.html

I'm glad to see that they are making the cockpit section "sink" into the forward fuselage so that the upper body lays flat, per Kawamori's lineart. I was wodering if they'd do that, as it creates the problem of what to do with the ventral stabilizer. I love these design progress shots, as it's interesting to see how they solve various issues in the transformation. The transformation engineering is what attracts me to these and other transforming toys more than any other factor, so I appreciate the more astute members here that point out all the flaws and fine details that may make an impact on the final toy's accuracy.

Yamato's solution to the lower torso is simple and elegant; glad they went that route rather than copying Experten's over-complicated design.

I'm hoping that the aft two sections of fuselage will be die-cast, or at least incorporate some die-cast, as both weight and torsion will stress those parts in battroid. I'm interested to see how they engineer the leg transformation. That's a potential weak spot unless there is a good locking mechanism, assuming they use a swing bar to move the knee from fighter position to battroid/GERWALK position.

I've been hoping Yamato would tackle this for quite some time. Given all they've learned, and moreso what they've demonstrated with the VF-19 and VF-17, I'm extremely excited to see the final product. To that end, I hope they pour the same level of passion, problem-solving, and just general excellent engineering into this as their last few releases. I'm guessing the demand is going to be high, since this is the only VF-4 toy to be released, and certainly at Yamato's level of detail and engineering.

+2. Bandai just killed to with the 171 so Yamato better step up.

The VF-4 is under development and scheduled for several months later than the VF-171.

Do you really think we’ll buy less Yamato’s only because Bandai showed what they should’ve showed before the pre order started and finished?

Sure, we've already seen people having to make decisions in the past between the V2 DX toys and Yamato's recent toys. The competition will lead to some people choosing a DX toy over the Yamato toy (and vice versa) at some point. Competition is good though, it looks like both manufacturers are really stepping it up. I hope my preorder on that 171 comes through!

Well yeah, I'll probably get both. But if another variant of the 171 drops at the same time as the VF-4 there's gonna be a lot of people making tough decisions... unless we all get this first release of the 171 and decide it's not all it's cracked up to be. As gorgeous as the 171 looks so far, I'm still more excited about the prospects of the VF-4.

Yeah, I see what you mean. As I’m getting this 171 first release, I don’t think it’d be very hard to me to make a decision if another variant drops by the same time of the VF-4 and I didn’t have the means for getting them both, mainly because I’m also more excited about the Yamato one.

I'm saving my pennies for the VF-4. I'd still like a renewal VF-25S, but if I have to make a choice, Yamato has me. Not feeling the VF-171...I think it's the skinny legs and small feet; prefer the beefier VF-17, just can't afford it.

The VF-4 is under development and scheduled for several months later than the VF-171.

Do you really think we’ll buy less Yamato’s only because Bandai showed what they should’ve showed before the pre order started and finished?

For me no. But not everyone is as fortunate. Anyways its irrelevant. Its good to have some rivalry between companies. And this 171 will no doubt put a damper on the people that are walking the fence on whether or not to pick up the 17 with their extra cash.

either way I better have a 171 coming(ebay pre-order) and will hopefully get the 4 too.

Count me in as one of the fortunate ones that don't have to make a choice. As soon as VF-4 was annouced, I knew I had to get one sight unseen and going by Yamato's reputation alone (good and bad; mostly good).

Seeing the 171EX didn't make me want Yamato's 17 any less either which I will have sometime this year hopefully.

Wow, I'm really glad they stared adding news to the front page of the site, otherwise I'd have missed that they were making a VF-4. I'd pretty much sworn off buying another Macross toy (I'm just too clumsy to really enjoy things that fiddly and that fragile), but I'm seriously considering this one because it's probably my favorite VF design.