DX Chogokin YF-29B Percival

IXTL

Sweet JASDF fighter pics! Nice call on the similarities to the F-2 scheme, Sildani.

Transformed my 29B to gerwalk, my first time transforming a 29 (never transformed my 29 Alto). The 29 has some serious junk in its trunk in gerwalk, haha. I really like it, though! And the ability to rotate the outboard engines really shines in this mode.

post-197-0-87061700-1439958080_thumb.jpg

@#$*!!! After a substantial wait to get my YF-29B (almost 4 weeks), I missed the delivery. I swear, more often than not, registered SAL is more nerve-wrecking than regular SAL... the tracking status never updated past the per-shipment phase -- had me worried --until, all of a sudden, it listed as out-for-delivery, and I wasn't around to receive it; had it been non-registered, I wouldn't have been able to fret over the lack of updates and the package would've been left at my door... now I have to make a trip to the post office or reschedule the delivery... :angry:<_<:mellow::rolleyes:

That sucks, I know what you mean about RSAL being sometimes more nerve-wracking than unregistered! The infrequent tracking updates plus signature required delivery can be a nasty combo. Unregistered SAL also tends to be faster than RSAL because it doesn't have to go through the same checks/security measures. It's been explained to me by friendly postal workers at the post office I frequent that RSAL can be extra slow because registered packages always need to be stored in specially secured areas under lock and key, then someone needs to sign off on each package any time it enters/leaves the secured area.

Still, I can't bring myself to abandon the small amount of peace of mind that the tracking and limited insurance coverage RSAL provides. :lol: Hope you get the chance to pick up your valk soon!

finally mine arrived, being expecting it since last week.

i must say im impressed, this is the most beatiful valk i ever seen, the paint jobs its excellent. Im just so happy i got it!

I have to agree, the YF-29B is a real looker! I know the gloss finish Bandai uses on the 29s has its detractors (and I certainly wouldn't mind a matte finish 29), but the gloss works wonderfully with the 29B's dark blue. Looks fantastic in-person, kind of reminds me of a Blue Angel.

I just got mine today. Man, people weren't exaggerating when they were praising this valk's colors. It's really beautiful in person. The gold highlights are a very nice touch as well, makes it seem elegant.

Shame that one of my head lasers was bent out of the box though. So how do I fix this again? Heat it up with a blowdryer and then submerge it in ice water while holding it straight? For how long? Do you really need to heat it up first (it's already pretty flexible as is)?

I just got mine today. Man, people weren't exaggerating when they were praising this valk's colors. It's really beautiful in person. The gold highlights are a very nice touch as well, makes it seem elegant.

Shame that one of my head lasers was bent out of the box though. So how do I fix this again? Heat it up with a blowdryer and then submerge it in ice water while holding it straight? For how long? Do you really need to heat it up first (it's already pretty flexible as is)?

Or for safety, instead of using the blowdryer, use hot water first, straighten it by bending it counter to the initial bending direction. Cool it down with cold water once it's done. If that didn't work, then use the blowdryer method. And yes, you really need to heat it up even though it's a flexi plastic. Hope that helps.

My experience with head lasers and other softer plastic parts is that if the water is hot enough, the part will go back to its "as-cast" state all on its own. But that assumes you can get the water hot enough and that you can get the part into it OK. I did this on a VF-25G part, and that was easy because the part comes completely off the head without any dramas.

A word of caution about temps being too hot or possibly just the composition of the softer plastic - my RVF-25 antenna array on the bottom was severely bent in a shipping mishap from Mandarake, so I decided to use the water trick on it. To my surprise, the part actually shrunk. No big deal except there was a very tight tolerance hole in it, to mate up with the mounting point in the arm. This no longer fit when I was finished with the straightening.

On the bright side, the part was perfectly straight!

So just bear that in mind. My recommendation would be water that's not quite to boiling temperature, say 180 F or 85 C?

And for anyone concerned, I managed to drill the hole out in the RVF part and the fit is so good, you'd never know it had a problem.

I just tried the blowdryer for a 2nd time this morning and got the same result as my first attempt (meaning it bent back again). I'll try hot water next time. Is the hot water from a water cooler hot enough?

Unfortunately, I can't seem to pull off the lasers from the head because I'm worried I might break them because it's soft plastic. The best I can do is to dip part of the head into a cup of hot water.

Hot water from a cooler? Wut....?

;)

Messing with you! I did exactly that. But I think it would depend on how hot the "red" side is on the water cooler. Mine is hot enough for a nice cup of tea, or bending soft plastic back into shape.

Pity you can't get that laser off the head. I'm guessing pulling the head off is out of the question? I could swear my Isamu version's head will pop off the ball joint, but don't quite me on it.

I used a hair dryer on hot for mine and then when it got soft, pressed it against the inside wall of my freezer. Was straight after that.

Pity you can't get that laser off the head. I'm guessing pulling the head off is out of the question? I could swear my Isamu version's head will pop off the ball joint, but don't quite me on it.

I popped the head off my 29s a few times while doing my usual stuff to them. It does make it easier to pull the head lasers off.

Sticking some plastic safe lubricant on the pvc ones before putting them back in also helps immensely. They turn smoothly to where you want them to go rather than the ball sticking and only the stem twisting.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Most Japanese stores are selling it for 15000 + tax. A couple of department stores still have VF19 Adv for 23000 before tax.

Most retailers are more expensive than Yahoo Japan a

Auction. Mandarake is considered to be the next benchmark price.

I saw a used yf29 Alto with super missing the stand at Liberty for 21k yen. But the stand could be found at another Liberty store for 1000.

Hobby Off has a 16000 yen used 1/60 v2 VF1S Roy with Strike but has broken left shoulder parts. Not visible cosmetically though.

I managed to get a used Metal Build OO Raiser for 25k yen tax inclusive. I think that is the only thing I will buy as I v

own most of the other things already. Alto vf25 super parts is getting cheaper as renewal alto is getting harder and harder to find.

Edited by calubin_175

Interesting, thanks for the insight into the Japanese brick-and-mortar prices, calubin_175. 21K for an Alto YF-29 with supers? Dang, that's awesome! You're lucky to find just the valk alone for that much on Mandarake's site. And it's nice to see that we didn't pay that much more importing the YF-29B; paying a 2000JPY premium for the YF-29B is certainly easier/cheaper than buying a plane ticket to Japan. :lol:

Had the YF-30 hang out with the YF-29B today! I was lazy so I only put the YF-30 in the traditional gerwalk mode (ie the intakes are still attached to the fuselage), rather than the true YF-30 gerwalk with the waist joint.

post-197-0-79559800-1440387646_thumb.jpg post-197-0-53782700-1440387387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keiichi

First time buying DX valk(and finding about this site). I was surprised by the Rod custom when looking through all those overpriced 2nd hand Ozma custom and brought one asap. Some question thou. Can anyone post a shot of Rod custom with Ozma's super pack for me please? I found a cheap 2nd hand Ozma super pack and am not sure if it will look good on the Rod's custom.

Hey Ridgebacks, I am not sure that they will announce them soon, but so far Bandai has released a matching set of parts for each color variant released.; My best guess is hang on for a bit and they will release a matching set.

Were the super parts shown in Macross 30? I have the game but haven't gotten very far.

Hey Ridgebacks, I am not sure that they will announce them soon, but so far Bandai has released a matching set of parts for each color variant released.; My best guess is hang on for a bit and they will release a matching set.

Welp, already brought it. It's a 2nd hand one from China, which only costed me $30 CAD so no biggie. I will just buy another one if Bandai does release it down the road.

Were the super parts shown in Macross 30? I have the game but haven't gotten very far.

Yup

fyfAZAA.png

That's literary 1mins into the game. Funny that this part is the only time a yf29 super pack's fold crystal antenna been deployed.

Yeah... I did the hot water method that mickyg suggested. And while it held it's shape longer, I think it's starting to bend back again... Sigh... I suck at this.

Hey Archie. I just remember that Kurisama has the YF-29 Head Turrets over at Shapeways just in case yours is still not straight. Hope that helps. ;)

Yeah I've thought about that, but I'm not sure Shapeways would ship such a small piece by itself to the Philippines at a reasonable price.

Also, I won't be able to paint it since I lack the skills/equipment/color matching ability.

Just wait for shapeways promo, from time to time, they do free shipping. Painting them is easy, getting a matching paint without mixing is the problem .

Yeah I've thought about that, but I'm not sure Shapeways would ship such a small piece by itself to the Philippines at a reasonable price.

Also, I won't be able to paint it since I lack the skills/equipment/color matching ability.

Yeah. I forgot you're back in the Philippines. Oh. And don't forget Commissioner Lina regarding packages. Even this small you'll have to pay taxes nowadays. Aside for paying, it will be stuck in the customs for weeks and months. Oh boy. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Are they real production paintjobs on actual operational jets? Damn!!!

In case anyone's interested just thought i'd mention that the cherry blossom/mount fuji scheme was to commemorate the 50th anniversary of japan's air self defense force. I'm thinking the other two schemes were for that as well.