AKIRA LIVE ACTION MOVIE = Life Support?

from the RT thread

> Meanwhile, Akira movie is greenlit with 90M++

Did they really mention a 90M number? Even with the ++ at the end that is a PALTRY budget (*) for an Akira movie, I smell a bomb.

(*) If they wrote 300M++ I would think they are looking at the correct budget figures...

Could this be "Epic Fail!!!!!"

Not sure it would work any which way, but as long as they at least get some Iconic bike designs in there and i dont mean just dressed up Hyabusa GSXR's eaither. Although we are more likely to get.....

post-3178-0-86735300-1319406199_thumb.jpg

We will see though :)

Edited by big F

epic fail as a post! Maybe turn on HTML?

I got a feeling they want Hedlund because he rode an imaginary bike in his other movie... lol.

That and he was supposed to be all rebellious and stuff.

In the interest of full disclosure I honestly didn't mind Tron: Legacy but I like I said earlier I wish this project would die.

:rolleyes: to :angry:

-b.

GaryOldman.jpg

With the Jaume Collet-Sera helmed US remake of Akira now officially green lit the talk now turns to casting the beast. Word began to circulate late last week that Tron: Legacy star Garret Hedlund is in talks to play Kaneda and while Twitch is indeed hearing those talks are ongoing - albeit in the early stages - there are two other parts that are much more advanced.

Twitch has learned that Gary Oldman has been offered the role of Colonel while Helena Bonham-Carter has been offered Lady Miyako.

90M could be a small figure because they're not hiring big-name stars like Christian Bale or Brad Pitt to headline the picture... I believe most of the budget will be applied on the cast's make up to make them look more Japanese. Can't imagine Hedlund passing himself off as a man named "Kaneda" unless they don't care ala race-bending in Last Airbender. The supporting cast should fare better though since they're used to playing weirdos. /sarcasm

Edited by chrisk

Best to forget about it and move on.

Back to the movie: hopefully the script writers will retain the essence of the original manga/movie and create something actually well written with well-defined characters. (I'm at the point where I want a movie to make me care about the people before the people are thrown into life & death situations.) Even if the end result has the barest resemblance of the original.

On the other hand, I also hope the producers avoid the temptation to make it "Japanese" (a la "FtF Tokyo Drift"). Not sure what the best option is (if I knew, I'd be producing movies ;) ), but I really hate the "it's set in Japan but filmed in LA" movie.

Could this be "Epic Fail!!!!!" Not sure it would work any which way, but as long as they at least get some Iconic bike designs in there and i dont mean just dressed up Hyabusa GSXR's eaither. Although we are more likely to get..... post-3178-0-86735300-1319406199_thumb.jpg We will see though :)

Maybe the bikes will be like this......

megaforce-motorbike.png

• 4 weeks later...

I love Tron Legacy. So hypnotized by them neon lights.

But if Stewart stars in it, then I'll only watch it if there's the outside of her taking off her top... Other than that she can't do much else in a film...

BTW, is this still a Di Caprio production?

http://www.hollywood...rt-akira-261956

Team Kaneda or Team Tetsuo?

Actually, I thought Stewart showed promise as an actress in Runaways, so of all the things that are going to be wrong with this film, I wouldn't automatically list her among them. ;)

More interesting to me was this comment:

Akira also is designed as a franchise, although it’s unclear whether it’s going to be two or three films.

Certainly, the manga has enough material for two, three, even more movies... or more likely a TV series... but the action set pieces aren't all that frequent. Plus, I'd wager the overwhelming majority of those familiar with Akira have only seen the anime. So, what pray tell are they going to do to milk it out further? Not that it couldn't be done by a decent writer, but I can't imagine the producers allowing the first to end on a cliffhanger on the chance it doesn't do well.

So, where would you guys put the breaks in between films? Would you have the first emulate the anime then derive sequels using the manga or other ideas? Or try to hew closer to the manga from the get-go? My thoughts would be to keep closer to the manga and split it into 2 movies. The end of the third volume, with Akira blasting the city a second time, would be a natural break point between the films.

The most obvious break would be pre and post destruction of Neo-Tokyo. In the first half, you've got the mystery "what is Akira?" The second half is "how do we stop Tetsuo and get the situation back under control?"

Sad thing is, it doesn't have to be a disaster. It's a solid, very cinematic story. We just have no faith in Hollywood.

Man, I wish Guillermo Del Toro was still going to adapt Domu...

It will never be anything but a disaster because no mater what the people making it do, the fanboys on the internet will piss and moan about how awful it is until they're blue in the face.

Not true, nobody (here) wants to see these things fail, we just know the probability that they will is pretty freakin' high.

Not true, nobody (here) wants to see these things fail, we just know the probability that they will is pretty freakin' high.

QFT

Personally, I don't care what they license, remake, reboot, brand, whatever in the pursuit of box office $$. I wouldn't care if they made "HB Pencil: The Motion Picture", as long as we got a good movie out of it. Problem is, as long as the magic formula remains "trailer with explosions" + "teenage boys" = $200 million, we're more likely to get lots and lots of loud drek.

Please excuse my ignorance but why is the film going to be set in New Manhattan and not in Neo-Tokyo?

A better question would be, why is the film going to be set in New Manhattan when traffic there would likely be as crazy as it is in Old Manhattan, maing it impossible for any motorcycle gang to get up enough speed to whack each other with pipes and boards, let alone escape from the cops. This film should be set in New L.A.!