Hmmm, not sure what this means in the context of Build Fighters Try, but a "Family" version of the Beargguy is on the way:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/09/hgbf-1144-beargguy-f-family-on-display.html

1.jpg

Obviously, Sei and China are expecting.

Or, more realistically, some other female gunpla enthusiast in universe made a big and small Beargguy because they thought it'd be cute.

Obviously, Sei and China are expecting.

Or, more realistically, some other female gunpla enthusiast in universe made a big and small Beargguy because they thought it'd be cute.

I can't read the card displayed with the model, but the picture doesn't look like China or the new female protagonist. Nevertheless, I like to imagine that Beargguy F is a representation of China and Sei's relationship; her kind and supporting, him juvenile and clueless!

That reminds me of a question (that maybe belongs in the Build Fighters thread): is Beargguy San supposed to be a modification of the original Bearrguy kit from Gundam Builders Beginning, or is it supposed to be an Acgguy mod that just subtextually references the earlier animation?

Thanks! This is setting up a hilariously "meta" chain of events:

The original MSG introduces the Acguy, leading to the corresponding kits.

GBBG is created to celebrate the 30th anniversary of MSG in the real world, and in the show Rina and friends modify an Acguy into GPB-04B Beargguy.

A kit is created of the original Beargguy.

Building on the concept of GBBG, GBF is created, set in the near future of our world, where all Gundam shows and kits exist.

China modifies a GPB-04B Beargguy into KUMA-03 Beargguy III.

In the real world and... I guess, in the universe of GBF(?), a kit is created of Beargguy III.

Our mysterious female character creates a mini-Beargguy III and pairs it with the full-sized kit, to create the Beargguy F team.

In the real world, a kit of Beargguy F is created!

In addition to the Bearguy, I recall Reiji made a Beginning Gundam from Gundam Builders Beginning when Sei's dad was was teaching him and Aila to make Gunpla at the mall. So I think it'd make more sense if Bearguy III was a modified Bearguy than another bear-themed Acguy mod.

In addition to the Bearguy, I recall Reiji made a Beginning Gundam from Gundam Builders Beginning when Sei's dad was was teaching him and Aila to make Gunpla at the mall. So I think it'd make more sense if Bearguy III was a modified Bearguy than another bear-themed Acguy mod.

That's a good call on the Beginning Gundam (and, man, do I love that episode), but here's the thing about China modifying the GPB-04B: the parts of that kit that differ from a basic HGUC Acguy are mainly the head and the backpack. Beargguy III uses a different head (it's bigger) and uses a bow instead of the schoolgirl pack. So, it basically has no more in common with the original Beargguy than it does with a standard Acguy.

I recived this today, hope to finish it tomorrow

IMG_20140912_152710767_zps52191d23.jpg

And still waiting my water decals for my Zeta 3, and some restock from the local hobby stores (Its damn hard to find tamiya paints and topcoats here in Mexico) to finish my Strike Freedom and the upcomings MG Nu and Hi Nu

That Trans-Am Exia is gonna be so sweet!

I finished the normal version a couple of weeks ago and just took some photos of it. Here it is displaying how it can retrieve its beam sabers, since I recall there was some question about that:

post-29037-0-35826000-1412126237_thumb.jpgpost-29037-0-43134500-1412126242_thumb.jpg

To me, the joy of this kit is in the details. Where some RGs use great panel lines or clever color separation to make "plain" areas look interesting, the Exia simply offsets those regions with two cool construction gimmicks - the translucent green GN reservoirs and the reflective blue GN cables. Either gimmick would have been enough to liven up a dull Gundam, but both together are just amazing. Only the loose GN cables form the arms disappoint me, because they have no reflective backing (the cabling in the head also lacks this, but I found that I could fudge that with spare sticker from the GN drive).

post-29037-0-76179100-1412126248_thumb.jpgpost-29037-0-64331700-1412126253_thumb.jpgpost-29037-0-33267500-1412126258_thumb.jpg

Overall, I find that I don't like the look and shape of the Exia as a Gundam, but as a general fighting robot design it looks cool as heck.

The rest of my gallery is here if anyone is interested.

I know everyone with more money to spend on models than me is totally excited about PG Unicorn. But for me, who likes his Gunpla in 1/144, I think the kit I'm most excited for right now is HGUC Crossbone Gundam X-1. RG Wing Zero EW is of course a must-buy as well.

I know everyone with more money to spend on models than me is totally excited about PG Unicorn. But for me, who likes his Gunpla in 1/144, I think the kit I'm most excited for right now is HGUC Crossbone Gundam X-1. RG Wing Zero EW is of course a must-buy as well.

I am agonizing over the PG Unicorn already. It's probably my favorite suit, and in what feels like the ultimate format... but it's also (with the LED frame) about as much money as every Gundam kit I bought in the last year put together. Ouch.

But, yeah, the RG Wing Zero - all of the RG Wing kits, in fact - are no brainers. You just cannot beat Real Grade for value.

The moment that your favorite suit got RG treatment, for me it is really no brainer. Even if HG now has advanced, the part separation and details that RG offers. It also helps that it really got a good articulation for posing.

Of course it is not all miracle, so do not expect any RG kit that has back pack to be balanced for standing poses. I am mostly a seed guy so I am still waiting for the Red Frame RG. By trend alone, almost all PG got a RG treatment.

as for PG unicorn, at first I was so excited and agonized by it. But later on, I decided, do not get hyped for PO and just wait for Actual samples and review. This is no P-bandai item so it will be regularly release over time.

Edited by chyll2

My RG Z'Gok arrived today. I've only had time to build the legs. Some quick thoughts:

-This kit is different. Like, yeah, the Zakus were kind of different than all those Gundams, and to an extent Exia was pretty different from the One Year War/SEED kits, but the Z'Gok is the most different. It's not difficult, though, as long as you make sure that you push the first piece you put on the heel of the inner frame foot all the way on.

-There seems to be a lot less pieces. Probably partly because you don't have any weapons or a ridonkulous backpack (I'm looking at you, every SEED kit in the line...), probably partly because he doesn't really have a head, either.

-The sticker sheet is the smallest I've seen in an RG.

-The plastic feels a little different. The pieces themselves are engineered with the usual fit and precision you'd expect from a Bandai RG kit, but the runners feel lighter and more brittle. I had one piece come off the runner as I was taking it out of the packaging, and a couple of times I'd start to nip a piece off a runner only to have a chuck of the runner fall off. Several sprues have holes in them. Don't know what to make of it, especially since the model itself doesn't seem to be suffering adversely.

Hope to have it done (with pics) maybe tomorrow.

I've seen this too! where pieces of the runner break off. my theory is they're not injecting enough into the mold press or there's an imperfection somewhere. this happened non stop with my unicorn zeta and my wing Gundam Ricardo kit.

My RG Z'Gok arrived today. I've only had time to build the legs. Some quick thoughts:

-This kit is different. Like, yeah, the Zakus were kind of different than all those Gundams, and to an extent Exia was pretty different from the One Year War/SEED kits, but the Z'Gok is the most different. It's not difficult, though, as long as you make sure that you push the first piece you put on the heel of the inner frame foot all the way on.

-There seems to be a lot less pieces. Probably partly because you don't have any weapons or a ridonkulous backpack (I'm looking at you, every SEED kit in the line...), probably partly because he doesn't really have a head, either.

-The sticker sheet is the smallest I've seen in an RG.

-The plastic feels a little different. The pieces themselves are engineered with the usual fit and precision you'd expect from a Bandai RG kit, but the runners feel lighter and more brittle. I had one piece come off the runner as I was taking it out of the packaging, and a couple of times I'd start to nip a piece off a runner only to have a chuck of the runner fall off. Several sprues have holes in them. Don't know what to make of it, especially since the model itself doesn't seem to be suffering adversely.

Hope to have it done (with pics) maybe tomorrow.

By coincidence, I also just got the RG Z'Gok and I am working on it this weekend. I'd echo just about everything you said. This is a strange kit for a Real Grade. Having built the HG Beargguy, this feels a lot like that kit (or an Acguy) with a RG frame built into it. The armor is mostly large pieces with less surface detail than other RGs, owing to the "cartoony" look of the suit. I'm not disappointed, per se; it's accurate to the subject, but it's not going to provide the lengthy, detailed build of some other RGs. Also, for all its simplicity, it's hard not to think there was a cost-cutting decision regarding the "Iron Nail" claws not being chromed. The way they come on their own white sprue, when the only other white piece of the entire kit (the cockpit hatch) is specially injected on the "A" sprue, suggests that a special treatment was planned for the claws at some point.

Regarding the plastic quality, the use of a metallic-swirled plastic for some parts like the propeller blades gives me a "cheap" vibe just because I associate that stuff with toys, but everything seems crisp and solid. I've encountered a few vacuities on the sprue like you mentioned, but I've also seen those in other RG kits. As long as a part isn't "short-shot," I don't see any harm to it.

I'm bashing a First Grade Gundam & HGUC Powered GM and GM Custom into a 1/144 Gundam Ver.Ka

I'm not familiar with Katoki's take on the RX-78, but I love what you are doing, electric indigo. It addresses two of my private gripes with the original Gundam: the string-beany arms and the stubby feet.

Well, my Z'Gok is done. Pretty much everything I already said stands... it's a different sort of kit, simple and straightforward, with basically no accessories. You build the Z'Gok, and you're done. Decaling didn't even take long. Z'Gok didn't have a lot to begin with, and even then there were leftovers where they'd print four of a sticker you'd only use twice. It's not that it's a bad RG... they worked details in like a mesh grill piece behind a piece with vent stats behind the outer frame, movable propellers in the feet, etc. I think maybe the Z'Gok just wasn't the best choice for an RG, or that maybe it should have cost less than the average RG. Anyway, if (when) Bandai releases the Z'Gok in the regular blue colors, I'll still pick that one up (and hopefully there will be more decals).

Oh yeah, pic...

post-187-0-34706600-1412458119_thumb.jpg

Well, my Z'Gok is done. Pretty much everything I already said stands... it's a different sort of kit, simple and straightforward, with basically no accessories. You build the Z'Gok, and you're done. Decaling didn't even take long. Z'Gok didn't have a lot to begin with, and even then there were leftovers where they'd print four of a sticker you'd only use twice. It's not that it's a bad RG... they worked details in like a mesh grill piece behind a piece with vent stats behind the outer frame, movable propellers in the feet, etc. I think maybe the Z'Gok just wasn't the best choice for an RG, or that maybe it should have cost less than the average RG. Anyway, if (when) Bandai releases the Z'Gok in the regular blue colors, I'll still pick that one up (and hopefully there will be more decals).

Oh yeah, pic...

CharZgok.jpg

something about t it where you wanna add more detail, rusting or scratches it really begs for that attention. but I can't seem to justify picking it up for 39 bucks at the hobby store. would that be a bad decision cause there is one right now.

something about t it where you wanna add more detail, rusting or scratches it really begs for that attention. but I can't seem to justify picking it up for 39 bucks at the hobby store. would that be a bad decision cause there is one right now.

It's not worth $39. I got it on Amazon for $27, and since that's what I paid for most of my RGs, I already think it's too much. I bought RG Zeta at a hobby store for $39, and Zeta (although a tad flawed) had way more parts, decals, and accessories.

Edited by mikeszekely

I've noticed these runner quality issues more and more since Bandai switched back to Polystyrene from the ABS they were using for awhile. They're definitely using a different blend of PS than they were 5 years ago, though. It's a lot less dense. The light weight is good for joints, but it is a lot more brittle and it makes it hard to get a clean cut on a lot of parts, which is mostly a problem on parts where the gate is on a large surface.

You know, of all of the things Bandai has done for injection molding, it is completely beyond me why they refuse to adopt undergating, especially on kits where extra-finish versions are planned. The lack of undergating completely ruins the Phenex.

I've noticed these runner quality issues more and more since Bandai switched back to Polystyrene from the ABS they were using for awhile. They're definitely using a different blend of PS than they were 5 years ago, though. It's a lot less dense. The light weight is good for joints, but it is a lot more brittle and it makes it hard to get a clean cut on a lot of parts, which is mostly a problem on parts where the gate is on a large surface.

You know, of all of the things Bandai has done for injection molding, it is completely beyond me why they refuse to adopt undergating, especially on kits where extra-finish versions are planned. The lack of undergating completely ruins the Phenex.

Some kits do kind of have undergating. Hi-Nu Ka, newer RG's all need extra trimming as the sprues tend to connect under the model part just a hair.

From what I've seen, most kits have a sprue or two of ABS for the parts that will undergo the most stress. My impression is that details cast in it are a bit softer and its surface hardness is much lower - you can scratch it with a fingernail. I assumed that's why it isn't used throughout. It sure is a pleasure to clean up sprue marks on, though.

I definitely didn't like the all-ABS construction of some kits. It's like you said, it's got better shear strength and rigidity, but the surface is softer than polystyrene. With that said, Bandai have changed their PS blend to something that's probably cheaper, and definitely less dense than the old formula. That's not so bad on new kits that are designed around this blend, but they are casting older kits in the stuff, and it's made for noticeable differences.

All that said, I really am enjoying the newer kits, even with the reduced level of inner frame of late, because they're getting more and more articulation out of more and more detailed kits. My Gundam X is one of my favorite kits ever.

But even that doesn't have any undergating, which makes cleanup a pain on the clear purple parts. Bandai really should adopt it on more kits moving forward. It does affect certain packing constraints, but there are a number of parts where it wouldn't add all that much to undergate it, and it would save the surface. Especially with kits where extra finish is planned. You can tell, some kits they make with the intent to release extra finish versions later, and of course wherever the gate meets the surface, there is no extra finish, which can quickly ruin the effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the build video, I think they did pretty well with the stickers on the head. Nearly all of them are stickers that would be very difficult to have as separate parts, even in MG scale. The forehead jewel is a red piece that's part of the chin and eye surround, and there's a sticker over it. I haven't been able to find out whether there's an alternate sticker that's just the blue and black bits, but Bandai's printing tolerances are close enough that you could cut out the red spot and put it on around the actual red part. Kawaguchi recommends that technique, especially on RG kits.

And would you look at the color separation on that torso? And the number of clear blue parts (including on the codpiece where we all too often just get a sticker) was impressive.

My only complaints with stickers, based on that build video are the white section of the glove, and the blue semicircles on the sides of the legs. Even HGs can usually afford to have a a white part there, and the rings go on a separate part of the leg! They really could have done those as parts. Though maybe Bandai spent most of its budget on the color separation in the torso. That's a lot of parts for an HG torso. I've built MGs with fewer.

I have noticed, Bandai has been including a lot more stickers, lately, but they seem to have bumped up the quality a bit too. Bear in mind, these kits are built to a very low price point. I think the HG G-Self is something like $17 US. They're packing in a lot more detail now, for not much more money, and the price of these kits is not keeping up with inflation. If I want super detail, I'll buy a marginally-more-expensive RG or a much larger, much more expensive MG. The level of detail in HGs today is astounding, even if they have to use stickers to make it so.

All in all, I think I would buy the HG G-Self, if I didn't have a ton of other things on my backlog already.

A big package arrived from HLJ today: RG Strike Freedom, Justice and Aile Strike together with MG Hi Nu and Sazabi Ver. Ka.

This will be my stack for the long and (hopefully) cold winter evenings that lie ahead. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

Nice! I can't wait to hear about those. I'll also be getting the Strike Freedom and Justice any day now. Very curious about the two MGs - they look like some of the best kits to date.

I'm falling behind in my pictures and posts, but I'm actually doing a lot of building. The Z'Gok is done, as is a RG Aile Strike, but I'm working on the Skygrasper set for the latter right now. I also have some Macross projects underway.

Edited by Nekko Basara